Hagerstown-Washington County Economic Development Commission accepts nominations for Washington County Farm of the Year for 2012.
(June 2012) THE PROGRAM
Washington County Maryland has an abundance of rich agricultural lands filled with products and commodities that support our community, state and nation. The Washington County Maryland Farm of the Year Award is designed to recognize and honor this rich heritage. On August 25, 2012, The Hagerstown-Washington County Economic Development Commission, Agricultural Marketing will recognize one outstanding farm and farm family that exemplifies the heritage of farming in Washington County. The award will be based upon numerous criteria including production, conservation, preservation, community involvement and dedication to farming and agriculture. The hope for this award is to showcase excellence in agriculture and promote a greater understanding of the challenges faced by today’s farmers.
HOW JUDGING WORKS
Application must be submitted by August 3, 2012. Judging will occur during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of August. The Washington County Farm of the Year Award will be presented at the Washington County Agriculture Education Center on Saturday August 25, 2012. This award is open to all farms located primarily Washington County Maryland and must be at least 5 acres in size.
1. Applicants must operate a farm or agricultural business or know a farm or agricultural business primarily located in Washington County Maryland, regardless of the size or scope.
2. Applications must include the principal farm operator/owner must be in business for a minimum of 5 years and be on at least 5 acres of agriculturally zoned land.
3. Completed applications are due by August 3, 2012
4. Judging of the farms will be completed sometime between August 6 and August 21, 2012. Photographs will be taken during the judging. Additional photographs can be provided and included with the application.
5. All applicants will be requested to attend the awards ceremony during the Annual Spud Fest on August 25, 2012 held at the Washington County Agriculture Education Center.
6. The winning farm will receive a plaque, a farm recognition outdoor sign and will be listed as the winning farm of the year at the Washington County Agriculture Education Center lobby.
7. Farms are encouraged to participate every year for this prestigious award and each applicant can win multiple years.
Judging Criteria, 350 points total
Proficiency in agriculture production 25
Farm Visit 25
Planning for the next generation 25
Community Involvement 50
Dedication to Agriculture 50
Application submission 25
Judges discretion points 25
For more information or to obtain an application, please visit or contact
Mrs. Leslie Hart
Hagerstown-Washington County Economic Development Commission Agriculture Marketing
Washington County Maryland
7303-7313 Sharpsburg Pike
Boonsboro, MD 21713